Saturday, June 7, 2014

Labor and Delivery

No I'm not going to go into every last detail, but I know I will want to remember the story of how she was born!

I stalled out around 5-6 cm, so they told me it would be a good time for an epidural if I wanted one. I decided to go ahead. As Dr. Boles said "why would you get a root canal without any Novocaine???!!!!"  I've decided that Epidurals are from heaven! :) Tom's description was very different, but I won't go into any details! :) The fear of the actual procedure was way worse than the procedure itself

Dr. Boles broke my water and decided to start me on pitocin. Pitocin is a synthetic version of the natural hormone oxytocin, which causes contractions. This augmentation helped my labor progress. Obviously the contractions grew stronger, longer and more frequent. The epidural was wonderful!!! I was able to take naps from 7 cm to 10 cm! I still felt some of the contractions, but the little button they give you is AWESOME!!!!!

The next thing I knew, the nurses were setting up the room for the delivery! I was nervous, but I said a quick prayer that God would help us both through the delivery! Tom moved from his very uncomfortable "daddy chair" and stood by my side. When it was time to push, Dr. Boles was as Tom said "a little league coach!" He told me to take a big breath and push for a count of 10 or a quick breath and a push for 5. It really didn't take long at all to have her!!!!

She cried right away and that made me tear up, because that's what I wanted to hear. I was nervous being early, but that cry was the best thing I had ever heard!!! Dr. Boles handed her to me right away and then Tom cut the umbilical cord. Dr. Boles said she looked great and was a BIG baby for 37 weeks!

The nurse checked her out, cleaned her up and handed her back. I asked Tom if he wanted her first and he said that I could hold her first. She calmed right down in my arms!!! I decided to let everyone meet her before I tried to feed her for the first time. Mama, Daddy and Ms. Mary Sue came in and then we announced her name...

No comments:

Post a Comment